In early pregnancy, many women experience an unpleasant taste of iron in their mouths. This may be a clear indication of a decrease in hemoglobin levels in the blood. If the performed analysis confirms this phenomenon, a woman is prescribed iron-containing preparations and is advised to supplement the diet with foods rich in this element. In large quantities, iron is found in buckwheat, apples, sea kale, grains of pomegranate, liver.
Causes of the appearance of metal taste in pregnant women
- Changes in hormonal background. In the body of a pregnant woman, changes occur, resulting in increased production of hormones such as progesterone and estrogen. These hormones are responsible for the taste preferences, so the usual taste of the dishes is changing. In food can be present in a minimum amount of ingredients, which in a pregnant woman provokes the appearance of metallic taste in the mouth.
- Sharp sense of smell. There is a close connection between the organs of taste and the organs of
- Prenatal vitamins. Ingredients of such preparations have a characteristic metallic taste. A woman who regularly takes prenatal vitamins may not feel the taste of metal, but with the onset of pregnancy, the taste becomes worse and a persistent smack of metal appears in the mouth.
- Acid reflux. It causes belching of food, resulting in the mouth remains the taste of metal. Hormones during pregnancy constantly interfere in the digestive processes. As a result, a pregnant woman has constipation, indigestion, acid reflux.
- Problems with teeth or gums. Bleeding can also cause a taste of metal. A visit to the dentist will solve the problem.
How to get rid of metallic taste in the mouth?
The long presence of metallic taste in the mouth irritates and there is a desire to get rid of it. Eating something, this phenomenon for a time disappears. It is best to eat acidic foods, however, acute food also solves this problem, but before actively leaning on acute and sour, it is worth consulting with a doctor to minimize possible negative consequences.
Many pregnant women are helped by usual mint candies, sweet and refreshing taste of which reduces susceptibility to food.